Sunday, May 02, 2010

Gluttony and hot tubs

I haven't blogged since we began our trip to B.C., and in two days we'll be home again. Not knowing where to start recounting, I'll probably just write snippets as I think about them. The themes of the journey have been food, food and more food, and hot tubs, a relatively new concept for me. Here's a photo of me hot-tubbing in the Empress Hotel in Victoria.

But here on Gabriola Island, we are staying at a rustic resort called The Haven. There's an outdoor hot tub at the edge of the Strait of Georgia (apparently now called the Salish Sea), overlooking mountains and cedars and hemlocks and lapping waves. It's deadly cold getting in there in the evening (not to mention tricky with the wheelchair), but I find the hot water really relaxing. I know, who doesn't. But I've led a sheltered life when it comes to recreational equipment and lifestyle devices and spa experiences -- I've never even had a dishwasher or an electric can opener, and I'm not sure what a Jacuzzi is. I had my second pedicure this trip and thought I was being pretty decadent.

The Haven is also a kind of New Age retreat centre, featuring in the dining room the funniest portrait of a Dana-Carvey-like church lady who turns out to have been the resident psychic, a proponent of "spiritism"; the plaque beside the fur-collared, washed-and-set woman in her 70s suggests that "spiritism" refers not just to her paranormal version of Christianity but to her homemade wine.

As for the other theme, we've spared no expense and eaten at some fine restaurants, some of which weren't so fine, and some pedestrian restaurants that were not half bad (I recommend the clam chowder at the Silva Bay Resort and Marina on Gabriola, which is attached to a wooden-boat-building school of some renown). The outstanding choice, apart from my godmother's fennel-potato soup and Waldorf salad, has definitely been Market at the rather fabulous Shangri-La Hotel, where we stayed in Vancouver (and will stay again tomorrow night). The food and service are outstanding.

While in Victoria, of course, we had to have high tea at the Empress, where we also lodged. I've had better food at a high tea, but the experience was worth it because it's the Empress and the room and service are lovely and legendary.

Now we are on Gabriola, a peaceful, rustic, friendly place, visiting friends and relaxing; my bedroom window overlooks the Strait and today we are just vegging. Our friends took us to their favourite lookout spot last night, overlooking the lighthouse. I can see why people retire here, though it may turn out to be a pipe dream for some; I notice there's an awful lot of property for sale. The population of the island seems to have an average age of about 55 or more. All the men and women look the same: grey beards and ball caps on the men, more colourful middle-aged outfits on the women, all seemingly fit as fiddles, walking to and from the ferry.

I've been very active on this trip (for me), and I'm pleased I'm still hanging in there. I had one fall in the bathroom of the Empress and banged up my arm pretty badly, but my noggin has been spared so far.

One of the items on my bucket list was to eat a Nanaimo bar in Nanaimo, so here's the evidence of that.

Finally, the photo up top should provide a sense of the peace I feel when I'm near water. It and the lighthouse photo were taken by my friend Jan's husband, Tony Bridge, who is a fine amateur photographer with some very nice cameras.

Soon I'll tell you all about my Hawaiian Lomi Lomi massage. Maybe.

6 comments:

edward garbo said...

i love both van island and gabriola. glad u're there. so cool.
lots of love, ron

Katie B. said...

Cynthia, the first picture is just beautiful. And I love the Nanaimo bar in Nanaimo one, too.
xo,
Katie.

Cate said...

It sounds delightful, Cynthia!

On the longest first date of my life, we actually walked through the grounds of The Haven and along the tidelines. That part was fun. Later discovering the date's intensity about spiritism wasn't quite so much fun.

Have an amazing trip, cate

Diane Woda said...

And even your old Aussie pal here has been to Gabriola, staying with my over-55 grey-bearded / brightly dressed relatives and meeting all their similarly attired retired pals. And guess what? They're selling up too. But we just loved the peace and glorious beauty of the place. I'm thrilled that you went there too. Hope you've made it home safe and sound, and that the lilacs have hung around for you. Mmmmm.
Di

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a great trip, Cynthia!

Kate

Karen Bridson-Boyczuk said...

Where are you now?! I watch your blog, as you know, with great interest. Are you hoping to fly off somewhere else soon?