Tuesday, May 18, 2010

The optimist's version

Dr. Haq is, as usual, just a little more optimistic than other doctors, so I wasn't surprised when she offered a slightly different take on Dr. Cuzamano. But in the end she didn't really recommend anything other than consulting another radiation doctor, and checking out the palliative care ward. I'm uncertain where I'll end up -- depends on whether I seem to be ready for the ward or not -- quite arbitrary. One thing I was grateful to learn, if sad, is something that's puzzled me for a while, especially when I heard how quickly Paul Quarrington died. Apparently, I could feel like a hundred bucks one day and die the next. This is helpful to know. My brothers and sister have stepped up to the plate and have been slowly taking over bill-paying, etc. Feels weird.

My brain is definitely not working properly, and I'll welcome people pointing this out to my family. I'm hoping my writing ability is strong, but retelling stories orally has become a ridiculous chore. I was warned about this by the radiation oncologist, so maybe it's temporary. But I'm quite confused when I try to sort out my day each morning when I wake up. Except I don't really recognize it till later in the day.

I will appreciate people telling my family if I start writing gobbledegook on this blog.

Pollyanna moment:
Sunday afternoon was wonderful. We all assembled in the sunshine in Mark's backyard and ate the most amazing cupcakes that were ordered specially for us from a cupcakery in the Beaches called, I think, Life is Sweet

4 comments:

dixyan said...

good to hear from you -- no gobblygook!

Anonymous said...

As usual your honesty is awe inspiring and, for me, reassuring. For knowing that it's easier for you to write than to speak tells me I'm doing the right thing by staying away. I miss you though. And let me assure you, as yet, there's been no sign of gobbledegook here. This is the first time, I think, that you've referred to your docs by their proper surnames.
Are you still up for Lex? - Liz

Anonymous said...

Cynthia,

Lori and I have been following your Blog since day one. We will be sure to let you know if you begin to write, "gobbledegook."

Sweet Dreams!
Robert

Diane Dyson said...

You still got it together girl, momentary kookiness allowed.

Had breakfast with your Mum this a.m. and a quick chat tonight. Thought about you all day.

Love,
:DD