Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Dignity

Picture this: you're near the front of the first-class cabin of an Air Canada flight, and you need to use the washroom. You stand up and immediately lose control of your bowels.

'Nuff said.

When I was singing with Rainbow Voices, now sadly a defunct choir, I was happy to learn and sing the music from Rent, particularly the round-style song about AIDS called "Will I?" (you can watch a short clip of it here.) The movie is a bit of a mishmash, but I've always found this part moving. Anyway, the lyrics are very simple:
Will I lose my dignity?
Will someone care?
Will I wake tomorrow from this nightmare?
I can now say with conviction that I have lost my dignity, and I won't wake tomorrow from this nightmare. But someone does care.

4 comments:

Renee said...

This is beautiful.

Neil Lees said...

Bravest bit of blogging I have ever read yet.

Cynthia Brouse said...

Well, brave or just plain stupid! Anyway, thanks for being one of those who care.

Tammy Laber said...

I miss singing with you in Rainbow Voices. And I miss YOU, Cynthia.

Tammy Laber