Friday, April 23, 2010

We're off -- almost

It looks like this trip to B.C. is really going to happen. My mom and I are hip-deep in clothes and suitcases and arguing over what to leave out. We depart in two days.

One reason I'm feeling better than I did in my second last post is that the doctor did permit me to start taking steroids again. My energy level is better, and my pain level is much reduced. My legs and hip remain semi-paralyzed, and I've had one bad fall, where everything just gave out at once and I went straight down to the floor despite having the walker in my grip, banging my head on a shelf as I went. Getting around is onerous, but not worse than it was. My voice and throat continue to plague me, but that's also status quo.

So...off to Vancouver for two days, then Victoria for two days, then four days on Gabriola Island. Visits with friends, spa treatments, swanky hotels, first-class plane seats. I hope it will be worth the day-in, day-out planning I've been doing for the past month. I think it will. I'm looking forward to it immensely.

Meanwhile, I am harbouring a fear that my hair loss is permanent. The stubble that remained after I had it shaved is staying put, and I don't see any regrowth. Is it possible I'll never have a head of hair again? Something to add to the list of things I'll never do or have again -- riding my bicycle, taking a streetcar, a bath in my claw-foot tub.

I'm not getting out very much in this nice weather, but my kitchen patio allows me to see how fast my garden is progressing--as usual, wild and unruly but beautiful. In my front yard, the lilac bush has lots of buds, and I'm afraid the blooms will appear while I am gone. Last year I prayed I'd still be alive to see my lilac bush one more time. And here I am -- going to B.C.!

5 comments:

dixyan said...

yahooooo!

Claire said...

Have a great time Cynthia!

Scott said...

Bon voyage, Cynthia! It should be lovely out there. And doing it in style. How luxe. Have fun. Scott

Kate said...

Hooray! And Bon Voyage! I'm so happy for you. It will be fabulous!

Kate
xx

Rebecca said...

Have an awesome trip Cynthia. :)