Saturday, April 18, 2009

Tentatively hopeful

I've had much, much less back pain in the past three days, and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this trend will continue. And, because this week was the last in this chemotherapy cycle, I've also been feeling more energetic and less sick all around than I was last week (though I've got another lousy mouth sore that makes eating uncomfortable). I'm not looking forward to the aftermath of my next injection, on Tuesday, but at least I can say I'm approaching the midway point of chemo.

So I've been feeling almost like a human being! I've gone for several short walks without my wheelchair, a real pleasure in this great weather. It still hurts a lot, but I can manage. I never dreamed that walking with an aching back, a sore hip, sore ribs and a frozen armpit would constitute a huge improvement, but I can walk.

I've also got a (used) wig. I didn't think I'd want to wear a wig much, but I kind of like it. It's bright red -- not unlike the colour I used to dye my hair in the ’90s. Thanks to the Canadian Cancer Society for providing it and to the person who donated it.

Just getting out of the house and driving to and from a couple of appointments is fun. Being cooped up in the house has been an eyeopener. Places that I once found mundane are exciting to view when you haven't been able to walk out your own front door and get somewhere on your own steam for three months. On the way back from the wig shop, Peggy and I ended up taking a circuitous route back to my place in her car because of all the construction downtown. Peggy was apologetic, but I felt like a kid at the county fair. "Bay Street! Wow! And there's my bank!" It was like going for a Sunday drive.

Lots of Pollyanna moments.
  • Myra brought homemade samosas made with Red Fife wheat flour, and a beautifully beribboned wand that she made from lavender that she grew. And then she helped me plant some seedlings for my herb garden.
  • Some red miniature tulips are up in my backyard (and the squirrels haven't murdered them yet), and there are plenty of buds on the lilac bush.

No comments: