Saturday, April 22, 2006

Kids on Stage

Last night I attended a production of Cole Porter's Anything Goes at Rosedale Heights School of the Arts, formerly Castle Frank high school. My young friend My Anh Tran was in it; she's been acting professionally and training as a dancer since she was about 8. Despite the sometimes dated (read: racist) details, which bothered My Anh, it was entertaining and well done. Not only am I always impressed by what the school does with these kids (because so many of the students are involved in drama, music and dance, the productions have huge casts), but I'm excited by the support the students show for one another -- the cheering sections in the audience, the shouts of "good show" in the hallway, the acceptance of different sexual orientations. When I was in high school, it often seemed that calling attention to oneself in any way invited only disdain.

My Anh is heading off to theatre or dance school in the fall (I can't believe she's 18; sigh). Although she didn't have a big role in Anything Goes, she was the best dancer in the bunch, and the stage presence she displayed as a little girl is still remarkable.

All the kids were great; a standout was A.J. Stewart as Billy Crocker, who has a tremendous voice, and Jessica Willis as Reno Sweeney; and Zebedee Serranilla played Moonface Martin with an understated comic touch that was lovely. I especially liked the opening, in which two hip-hop dancers did their moves to loud contemporary music, but then deferred to an old lady with a Victrola, who led a segue into the world of the '30s musical. It was a bit Titanic-ish, but sweet. Later there were pop culture allusions, including to Titanic, that were tongue-in-cheek and cleverly done.

The school's upcoming concerts include: Music Night, May 10, 11 and 12; Circo della Vita (with over 300 students dancing), May 24, 25 and 26; and the Fringe Festival, a collection of 16 student-written, -directed and -produced plays, June 6, 7, 8 and 9 (My Anh is one of the directors and performers).

No comments: