Wednesday, December 16, 2009

The root of the problem?

This morning I had a nerve-root cortisone injection in the base of my spine in an attempt to resolve the sciatic pain that's been making me crazy. I've slept through the last couple of nights, but only because of heavy drugs. Not only does my leg hurt, but it's getting weak; I'm having trouble climbing stairs, and when I crouch down I have trouble getting up again.

So, since the injection I feel pain-free, but I've been warned that may be just because there's freezing in there. We'll see how I feel when it wears off. I'm actually putting my hopes on a placebo effect. Apparently, the procedure is diagnostic as well as potentially therapeutic; if I get some relief, then they know they've hit the right spot, and if they later decide to do surgery (the effects of the injection don't last) they know where to work.

I've just read some accounts on the Internet about people who had nerve-root injections and three days later had wildly increased pain! Oh, I should never have done that search.

The procedure wasn't very pleasant, but it didn't hurt much. The doctor was a student, which worried me a little, but as soon as she hit an obstacle, she fetched a senior radiologist, who guided her through the process expertly and in great detail. They inserted needles using an X-ray to guide them. Three times they hit something that hurt, and when I hollered, they asked if the pain was in my back or down my leg. The fact that it was in my back was good, I gathered; if it had been down my leg it might have meant they were damaging the nerve itself. The technician who assisted during the whole thing was a friendly and soothing guy; all in all, Jocelyn and I were impressed by the staff's kindness. And I, of course, was impressed that Jocelyn was kind enough to accompany me.

I still have no appetite. I do hope that I can start cutting down some more on these drugs. Reducing the amount of codeine I've been taking has resulted in some bouts of extreme agitation and jumpiness. I had an expert reflexology session two days ago and had to cut it short because I felt so antsy on the table I couldn't relax or lie still. I guess that's withdrawal.

Pollyanna moments:
  • Jay visited and serenaded me accompanied by his guitar. It had been a long time since I'd heard "Scarlet Ribbons" -- what a sweet song.
  • Although it's been very tiring to get through my seniors' writing workshop sessions, I've enjoyed them, and I've been impressed by my participants' hard work, and their patience and understanding when I'm not well.

2 comments:

dixyan said...

Crossing fingers for any kind of relief for you -- placebo okay, too. Cuban dreams?

Claire said...

Cynthia, I hope this procedure makes you feel better, not worse. Kind hospital staff are a treasure, aren't they?