Wednesday, September 30, 2009

A watershed day?

Yesterday marked eight months since I had surgery on my armpit. And I think it marked the first day that I got definitive word that I have metastatic cancer, not just in my ribs but in my spine. I went to see Dr. Second, the hotshot orthopedic surgeon. He and his resident were very good to me, and, unlike my oncologist, displayed the actual CT scans I brought them and pointed out what has changed. Dr. Second told me back in the winter that he doubted I had cancer in my spine; he thought the evidence showed the vertebral collapse was in keeping with a mechanical problem, namely junctional kyphosis. But now there is sclerosis in the spine -- where my vertebra all looked black-ish on the film, now many of them look white. This, he says, means that there is bone-building going on, probably as a result of chemo and Zometa, which in turn means there was very likely cancer there to start with.

That is what Dr. Lee tried to tell me two weeks ago, but she didn't really make clear to me that she was talking about my spine -- she just read some of the report, which was Greek to me, and didn't show me any pictures. I just assumed the problem was only in the ribs, in any case.

I had a little weep in Dr. Second's office, but afterward I just felt relieved to have some kind of an answer. I guess my visit this Friday with Dr. Lee and the radiologist to review the films will drive it home even more clearly. Dr. Second was quick to add that there is a "good chance" of long-term survival with bone mets, and I have to concentrate on that.

He also implied that I might now require radiation to my bones, so I'm hoping to get an appointment with the radiation oncologist soon. She told me she really didn't think I had cancer in my bones and would not radiate until she had some definitive proof. Perhaps these new films will provide it.

In the meantime, for the past couple of weeks I've had a lot of rib pain; it's keeping me up at night, which is usually a sign of bone mets. It also hurts just under my left rib cage, and I don't know what that is. Lying down and sitting hurt the most; sometimes it hurts when I walk, though seldom enough to stop me from walking. Codeine seems to help, but it also makes me high. Dr. Second says I should stop taking the NSAID Naproxen, which I've had 1,000 mg of daily for about 10 months, because it will damage my kidneys. He says I should take Percocet! I can't imagine regular opioid use can be very good for me in the long term, either, but he seems to think it's preferable to the NSAID. God knows there are thousands of people walking around out there on big-time analgesics because they can't manage otherwise. Will I join their ranks forever?

Still, the question in my mind is: if my bones are actually getting better, why are my ribs hurting so much? Maybe I now know there is indeed cancer in my bones, but I still don't know how much of the pain comes from that and how much from my mechanical problems. It's probably both to some degree. Do I need radiation of my bones? Should I have spinal surgery -- would it make any improvement? Dr. Second warned me not to do it if I don't absolutely need to; there is a risk of paralysis and he's looking at more complex surgery than most fusions involve. He'd have to remove a whole vertebra, he says, partly in order to do a proper biopsy, as well as most of a couple of ribs. He'd fuse two or three vertebra, which means I would be even more inflexible than I am now.

How much pain is too much? I measure everything now against what it was like in the winter when my vertebra was fractured but not yet healed, and I could not walk for more than a minute or two. I guess just being miserable is not enough to warrant surgery, as long as I'm still ambulatory! At least when I couldn't walk I could get some relief when I lay down.

Next stop: the radiation doctor again. This really is turning into a full-time job. I can't believe a handful of people are still reading this blog; the merry-go-round I'm on, and may be on as long as I live, is getting mighty boring. I think it's time to start blogging about something more interesting, like the disintegration of my fingernails or the latest escapades of the raccoons in my backyard or the impact of the internet on daily newspapers ...

4 comments:

D. B. Scott said...

Cynthia,
Far from being boring, your blog posts are -- for me -- a way of knowing what's happening to you. So unless it bores you to tears, keep on telling us what's happening and how you feel. Your friends at a distance want to know.
DBS

dixyan said...

Ditto!

Jay McH. said...

Same here, Cynthia!

Anonymous said...

Past students who miss you, too.