Thursday, September 17, 2009

It's all relative

More cancer "relativity." I saw my medical oncologist today. First she spent quite a bit of time giving me the results of the CT scan of my body. The good news -- very good news -- is that there is no cancer showing up in any of my vital organs. But the CT report was more doubtful about my bones: previous hot spots that had looked like cancer-caused holes now seem to be filled in, which may mean the chemo or the Zometa has helped, but also means it was cancer.

Then I reminded Dr. Lee that I also had a bone scan a couple of weeks ago, which she had missed; it didn't seem to show anything scary at all! On the other hand, one of the blood markers for cancer suggests there is/was cancer in the bones. On the third hand, the same people who read these films and reported on them did reports on my films from several months ago and completely missed that I had a collapsed vertebra. Which seemed so clear to me when I looked at the films myself, an eight-year-old could have picked it out. Sheesh.

The funny thing is that the doctor who did my bone scan said he would refer to the CT scan to help him judge the bone scan!

In any case, Dr. Lee is very positive about my situation, but she tends to be a Pollyanna and is reluctant to quote any survival statistics or tell me that I will or won't need my pension (and she suggests keeping the porta-cath in "for now"). I think she's worried about creating self-fulfilling prophecies and depression. Her optimism, combined with her propensity for thinking out loud, makes me come away as confused as ever. I have Stage 4 cancer; she agrees it's metastatic. My own Googling shows that only 20 percent of breast cancer patients with bone mets survive more than five years, and I have a couple of factors that could put me in the shorter-lived group (a blood marker called CEA and the fact that I'm mostly estrogen-receptor negative). But there are so many other factors involved that I can't really blame the doctor for being so equivocal. I've forgotten half of what Dr. Lee said; fortunately, she is one of the few doctors I've met who lets me tape our consultations, so I'm going to go over the recording again and see if anything becomes clearer.

So...relative to a year ago, I have an incurable terminal illness and that's still upsetting. Relative to what could have shown up on the scans today, I have every reason to be relieved.

Dr. Lee agreed I should be trying a little harder to lose some weight; her enthusiasm for this plan of action seemed bolstered by the fact that she's been fasting for Ramadan, which, she admitted, was also making her head a little fuzzy! She gave a brief pitch for fasting as my stomach growled. It may be too late when it comes to diet change; my high-carb, high-fat diet over the years probably contributed to my cancer in the first place. And there's a difference between diet leading to a primary cancer and diet affecting a recurrence of cancer. The research on individual types of food is pretty vague, but it seems clear that high calorie intake is associated with cancer, so...can I take this fact seriously long enough to go a day without chocolate? I wouldn't put any serious money on it.

In any case, Dr. Lee wants to take another look at the pathology of my tumours to see if I have enough estrogen-receptor positivity to warrant taking Tamoxifen or some other hormonal therapy again (the two biopsies I've had ranged from 9 percent to 30 percent ER-positive). I'm to continue the monthly Zometa injection to strengthen my bones. When my orthopod does an MRI of my spine, I'll get him to send a copy to Dr. Lee -- maybe it will clarify something. I read in the paper that the Ontario government is going to start paying for PET scans this fall, so maybe I can get one of those. And I'm considering taking all my files and getting another opinion from another medical oncologist (don't know who) or even another radiologist.

When I left the hospital (my friend Liz kindly accompanied me), I did feel relieved because it seemed as though not much had changed; I didn't feel like there was any new, scary thing to adjust to. But when I got home, I realized I hadn't truly adjusted to the old scary thing. During treatment, you really feel like you're putting everything on hold, including fear, predictions, plans. Tonight I feel as though I'm looking this thing in the face for the first time, with a clear head. From today, I am simply living with cancer, a terminal chronic disease. As for dying, a social worker at Princess Margaret who has also had cancer told me, "I'll worry about dying on the last day."

My last bout of cancer was all about denying the situation and changing absolutely nothing about my life, because I liked it just the way it was. That was my gift to myself. Now that my life is in greater jeopardy, and probably because I'm in my 50s and kinda worn out, for the first time I feel like it's time to make serious changes in my life, or at least in my priorities. Not sure what, or how, but life is now going to be about (a) staying alive, (b) enjoying myself, and (c) limiting myself to work I like and that allows me to address the things that matter to me (volunteering, for one).

Meanwhile, I'm taking a break from my anti-inflammatory pills and for the first time in a while my ribs are aching. None of this makes any sense....

No comments: