Sunday, January 31, 2010

More ups and downs

I've been in hospital more than three weeks now; can't believe it. Developments have been both encouraging and discouraging:

The doctors were paying more attention than I'd thought, and had the nurses remove the catheter earlier this week. What a relief not to be lugging around that smelly thing. So far I am peeing normally, and that's a relief. As long as I have someone to bring my walker to me, I can get to the bathroom on my own pretty well.

Every couple of days I get a little more movement in my left leg; suddenly yesterday morning I could kind of raise my foot by itself and even lift my knee a bit more. It's odd how these movements return suddenly; one second I can't do something, and the next second I can. I continue to feel tight and numb in many locations, including my groin, which feels odd to say the least.

The physiotherapist took me to a stairwell, and showed me I could, with effort and help, get myself up some steps. This was a great relief, because it means I could actually get into and out of my house if I get a day pass. Three weeks ago, that was impossible, so thank goodness for this blessing.

My shoulder pain is up and down. I take oxycodone and look for comfortable positions to sit and lie in.

The worst part: I continue to have great difficulty eating and I've vomited the last two nights. The palliative care doctor was in today and says this can be a permanent feature of spinal cord injury, even with cancer, so I'm discouraged. I'm not getting enough nourishment to feel strong enough to recover. I'm starting a new medication tonight for my poor beleaguered gastrointestinal tract.

Pollyanna moments:
  • Today I had to miss my father's 75th-birthday celebrations in Kitchener, but through the miracle of speaker phones, I was able to participate a little. The best part was hearing everyone sing and play "The Blackfly Song," a family favourite that Dad loves.
  • Joan D. flew in from Calgary for a couple of days, and I am being treated royally as usual. It's great to see her.
  • I'm feeling strong enough today to be a little productive, write a letter, do a puzzle, blog, etc. Let's hope I can keep down some food today.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cynthia, I haven't caught up with your blog for some weeks. What a journey! Thank goodness you are starting to feel a bit better. I wish I wasn't so far away and could come and hug you (and help you eat all that chocolate). That you can continue to write with such grace and eloquence under these circumstances never ceases to astound me. Thank you so much for sharing your story. Geoff'n'I'r rootin'fer ya...
Love Diane Woda

Cate said...

Just reading along and sending you the best energy I can.

Cate