Wednesday, July 08, 2009

The body electric: Michael Jackson

It's been a week since my final chemo treatment. My mouth is especially irritated, and I'll be glad when that clears up so I can enjoy food again. Perversely, I've been living on junk, looking for powerful flavours my mouth will respond to. That has to stop. Otherwise, I don't feel too bad -- a little tired, but not as shaky as I was a few days ago. Still coughing up a storm. Walked to the grocery store today. Blah, blah.

Yesterday I had a shot of Zometa, the bone-strengthening drug, at the hospital (it might make me feel crappy today), and had some blood tests while I was there. My white-blood-cell count was extremely low despite having had three of five Neupogen shots. I asked the doc whether I should have my blood tested again next week, but she didn't seem concerned. I also mentioned that my heart rate is a bit high (98) and one of the nurses suggested maybe I should have my heart tested again since I've had the heart-harming chemo, but again the doctor seemed uninterested. When I walk fast, my lungs seem to be able to handle it, but I'm still tired and out of breath -- is that my heart?

More interesting than the workings of my boring body: I spent yesterday afternoon watching the Michael Jackson memorial -- what a mass of contradictions and ironies. If I were 20 right now, I would probably have been one of the crying girls, with little control of my emotions despite a fascination with the cultural meaning of celebrity death (I was a mess when John Lennon died in 1980); if I were 45, I would probably be cynically decrying the tastelessness and the media-manipulated celebrity maw and wondering what the need for global mass mourning says about our age and why we're glorifying a very troubled man who didn't call himself "Bad" and "Dangerous" for nothing.

But at this stage in my life, I simply look at all the weeping kids who weren't even born when Thriller came out and the mothers and fathers who travelled to L.A. from afar and I acknowledge that there is so much sadness and pain in the world and such a lack of community that the need to join hands with others when a celebrity dies, metaphorically and in reality, seems understandable, if alarming. It's a tough world out there, and we need socially sanctioned outlets for the grief that we walk with every day. And we need to touch each other and participate in ceremony and seek good in the dark corners of the world. Still, you'd be hard-pressed to name an event that contained within it so much good and dark at once.

The memorial seemed respectful and subdued in some ways; I would love a funeral that combined speeches with musical performances, and I liked that a lot of the music was devotional. I don't have a problem with people commanding a stage at a memorial service, though Usher's self-regard was hard to stomach, with his sunglasses and his "it's all about me" attitude. John Mayer's guitar instrumental on "Human Nature" was a nice idea in theory -- I don't think I could have stood his singing, and the man who did sing the melody line in the background sounded wonderful -- but Mayer didn't seem like much of a guitarist (I don't know his work at all). I admit my eyes got a little damp when Mariah Carey opened with "I'll Be There," though I've never listened to a Mariah Carey performance in my life. Jermaine Jackson singing "Smile" struck a perfect note for a funeral, notwithstanding the image it invoked of its composer, Charlie Chaplin, an earlier social outcast for his supposedly inappropriate romantic choices.

I thought Martin Luther King III's speech was inane -- it's all well and good to go on and on about how his father maintained that we little people should be the best street sweepers and mechanics we can be, but what did that have to do with Michael Jackson? He truly was better at what he did than just about anybody in the world. Was King simply trying to make us feel better about the fact that we aren't as good as Michael was? Weird.

The speech I liked best was Brooke Shields'; because I was featured in a documentary called Fag Hags: Women Who Love Gay Men (hey, I just discovered that the whole thing can be viewed online here), I instantly empathized with the lament of a classic fruit fly who has lost her special friend. That I could relate to.

The ending was moving; was the weeping 11-year-old daughter Paris being used by the family to humanize her bizarre father? Perhaps. But it did the trick. I guess I could have done without it; still, I felt bereft when they took the gold-plated, rose-covered casket out of the building to the subdued instrumental strains of "Man in the Mirror," a song that has always choked me up a little. I wanted to hear Michael sing, but it was entirely appropriate that instead the camera focused on the lonely microphone stand in the empty spotlight. At that point, I didn't mind being manipulated at all.

I tried to purchase an MJ song on iTunes during the "show" to complete my playlist, and the system was jammed. But I completed the transaction an hour later. Life goes on.

2 comments:

rabbit said...

very touching comments on the memorial. i missed it, but was quite interested in reactions of those who saw it.

Cynthia Brouse said...

Thanks, Susan -- I'm glad you're enjoying it!

Cynthia