Sunday, June 14, 2009

Self-pity and PET scans

Apologies for that self-pitying rant yesterday. After all the excitement of the previous week, I think I crashed a little. I admit I am feeling isolated and lonesome, along with the fatigue, but I hope to get outside today and I know that will perk me up.

New topic: I'd be curious to hear from any Canadians who have had a PET scan for breast cancer. My medical oncologist is suggesting I have one, I suppose in hopes that it might finally confirm whether I have bone metastasis or not. But because it's not covered by medical insurance, a PET scan would cost me $3,000. The doc says she's been told that the technologists sometimes negotiate the price downward, but she can't confirm that. This article from breastcancer.org suggests that the test isn't very reliable, and my radiation oncologist didn't seem very enthusiastic about doing one. Other articles I've read suggest that the PET scan doesn't pick up breast tumours very well, but it can detect spread in the bone and elsewhere. This one seems hopeful, but it doesn't have a date on it! God, that makes me crazy.

Meanwhile, will Canadian government fuckups over the production of radioactive isotopes at Chalk River prevent me from having a regular bone scan when my treatment is done? They really dropped the ball on that one; it's shocking.

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

Please don't ever apologize for feeling down or isolated or lonely. I feel so guilty after reading your blog because I feel all of those things sometimes without any reason whatsoever that I can put my finger on. You just go girl and rant all you like.