Tuesday, November 24, 2009

More waiting....

After five radiation treatments last week, I am experiencing the predicted fatigue, though not the sore throat. I can barely make it up the stairs. Who knows how much of it is the many medications I'm on? It's a terrible trade-off; I have only a little pain, and I can sleep quite well. But I'm so woozy. Meanwhile, I'm keeping one ear cocked for the phone, assuming that if the CT and MRI scans I had a week ago show anything scary, my doctor will call me at home. Waiting, waiting, waiting....

The numb pressure under my breasts continues, meanwhile, and swallowing is still a mini-ordeal. I'm afraid to weigh myself; the pounds are melting away. But I stopped taking the misoprostol, the drug meant to protect my stomach that gave me stomach cramps. My appetite is getting poorer and poorer as long as I'm upright -- when I lie down, I'm starving.

Last month, I finally took advantage of my prize for receiving the National Magazine Awards Outstanding Achievement honour: a photo portrait session with a photographer of my choice. (I waited until I had a little hair.) So I guess I'll post the best shot here. It's by Eden Robbins.

On a related topic: Kudos to my cousin Shane Brouse of Los Angeles (or thereabouts), who recently went to New York to pick up a silver Clio Award for his interactive website LiveWithIt.com. Good on you, Shane! (That's him on the left.)

2 comments:

Vanessa said...

beautiful pic, cynthia!

Rebecca said...

Hi Cynthia,
I'm still here following you on your journey and it's a very bumpy ride. That's a very nice portrait. You can get away with little hair with your sweet face.

Yes, Kudos to Shane. I have so many talented awesome cousins.

Thinking of you.