Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Green energy


While searching on the Net for a better natural gas rate last fall, I stumbled on Bullfrog Power, Ontario's first 100% green electricity retailer. The idea is that the money one pays to Bullfrog goes to purchase only wind power or low-impact hydro power, which in turn should help create a larger market for those types of power. I signed up without realizing how new this option was -- turns out I was one of the first 100 customers; the list includes people like Margaret Atwood, The Tragically Hip's Gord Downie, Steven Page of Barenaked Ladies, photographer Edward Burtynsky, and U of T prof Thomas Homer-Dixon. Adding to its trendiness is the cute Bruce Mau-designed logo. I ended up writing an article about Bullfrog for the issue of Green Living magazine that was just distributed with the current Toronto Life.

Bullfrog charges about a third more than Toronto Hydro, and I blanched when I got the first bill. But I do find I'm more conscious now of how much electricity I'm using, and I'm developing better habits of turning lights off, using the dryer less, etc., proving that a hit in the pocketbook is the best motivator -- and that our deregulated electricity market can foster environmentally friendly practices by encouraging eco-entrepreneurs.

And now I hear that Walmart has signed up some of its Ontario stores for Bullfrog Power, in keeping with its move toward selling organic foods (a seeming contradiction on one level -- "organic" would seem to mean not just pesticide- and drug-free but also local and small-scale -- but surely fostering a healthy world is not only for the Margaret Atwoods and Steven Pages of the world).

Is it all just pissing into the wind (pun not intended)? I hope not. I have to believe that putting my money where my mouth is does more than just make me feel self-righteous and poorer.

No comments: